Cardboard collector stabbed in attempted robbery in Durban North

Dec 03 2020

Cardboard collector stabbed in attempted robbery in Durban North

This article originally appeared in the Northglen News:

A LOCAL cardboard collector said he is lucky to be alive after he was stabbed in an attempted robbery last week.

George Moyo (37) was doing his early morning collection in the vicinity of Lansdowne Crescent when he was attacked by a lone suspect on Thursday (27 November) at about 6.30am.

Moyo sustained stab wounds to his upper back and arm as he tried to flee from his attacker.

“I was walking with my trolley when a man asked me to stop. I initially assumed he wanted to ask for directions but when he reached me he grabbed my pockets and tried to rob me. I tried to flee and called out for help and the man stabbed me in the back and then again the bicep as I tried to stop him. A Marshall Security guard who heard my calls for help came to my assistance and my attacker fled on foot.

“Some of the residents came out to help me as I was bleeding profusely. At one point I blacked out because of the loss of blood. I waited for more than an hour for a government ambulance to take me to hospital before paramedics from Crisis Medical helped me,” he said.

Speaking to Northglen News from a bed at Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Hospital, Moyo said he is recovering but is in a lot of pain.

“I’m grateful to the residents who stayed with me and offered me water and painkillers while we waited for the ambulance to arrive. I’m lucky to be alive really. At the moment I’m in a lot of pain and I’m unable to earn a living because of what happened. I’m part of the Roadhouse Crescent cardboard collectors, and we work closely with a number of environmental groups including the eThekwini municipality and the CPF,” he said.

Henry Landman, spokesperson for Crisis Medical, confirmed they had treated Moyo who was in a serious condition when they arrived on scene.

“Members of the Durban North SAPS, Marshall Security, and Blue Security, the CPF and Home Hawks Neighbourhood Watch were on scene when the call went out. He had lost a lot of blood when paramedics arrived on scene. We treated his wounds on scene before transporting him to Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Hospital in Phoenix,” he said.

Moyo said he intended to open a case at the Durban North SAPS once he is discharged from hospital.

Share Post
No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

error: Anti-copy protection enabled.